Bending pipes can be done in a variety of ways: on three- or four- roll benders, on rotary draw benders (with or without Mandrel Bending, on mechanical presses and through a heat-induction process. Chicago Metal Rolled Products uses all these methods except heat-induction bending for bending pipes. Because of its symmetrical nature, with the machine for the task, the right tooling, the proven methods and the correct material, pipe can be bent to very consistent radii with no or minimum ovality or other distortion. We operate over 30 pipe bending machines in Chicago, IL and Kansas City, MO. Bending pipes can also be done in two planes including helically for handrails and stringers on circular staircases. We are regularly bending pipes to multiple radii. We bend almost all grades of steel pipe as well as doing aluminum pipe bending. Finally, we can bend half pipe.
Pipe Bending Images
We bend all sizes of pipe from 3/8” pipe to 24” pipe. We can do rotary draw bending to radii as tight as two times the diameter of the pipe. For example, we can bend 6” OD pipe to a 12” center line radius. We are also bending pipes to very large radii, a process not always available with other methods of bending. We can bend pipe with minimum or no distortion or ovality. The pipe bending is done cold which is usually less expensive than hot bending
3-roll and 4-roll bending method
- We are bending pipes from 1” Schedule 40 to 24” Schedule 80 We have tooling to do the following pipe sizes: 24”, 20", 18", 16”, 14”, 12”, 10” and every pipe size below 10”.
- Note: Many companies have machinery to bend these sizes of pipe but have not made the significant investment in tooling to roll these sizes, especially the larger diameters of pipe.
- We can bend these sizes with minimum distortion. However, the tighter the radius, the more likelihood of distortion including ovality. Your best solution to what can be done is to contact Chicago Metal Rolled Products for its expert advice.
- Circular bending aluminum pipe can be done up to 12”
Rotary draw pipe bending method
- We can rotary draw bend pipe up to 6” Schedule 40 pipe on one of several bending machines with or without mandrels. We will pick the right machine for your requirements.
- We have the tooling for bending pipes to a 2D bend, that is, a bend with a radius of two times the diameter of the pipe. For example, we can bend 6” diameter pipe to a 12” center-line radius.
- Because we have invested in over 300 die sets for rotary-draw bending alone, we almost never have to charge you tooling costs, and we’re ready to respond immediately to your delivery requirements.
Pipe Bending Value-Added Services
In addition to bending pipe, we can saw cut, torch cut, plasma cut, bevel, weld, thread, grind and polish pipe. With close-by vendors we can blast and paint these products.
Bending pipes is used for process piping, as elbows, as elements of a pipe truss, for canopies, for bridges, and for many kinds of arches including those in playground equipment. We have been bending pipes for fabric architecture, a combination of two types of material that has seen successful applications in the University of Phoenix Stadium, KC Live!, and various other structures. Half pipe is often welded onto tank walls as a “jacket” for heating or cooling. Aluminum pipe bending is often used for displays and exhibits. Circular bending of aluminum pipe is often used for signage. Not to be confused with what we call pipe bending, Chicago Metal Rolled Products also bends sheet metal and plate into a cylinder to create straight pipe for pneumatic conveying systems and other applications.
For more information on our steel and aluminum pipe bending applications and services, contact us.
Click here to view more Chicago Metal’s bending pipes images
"The quality and accuracy of CMRP's Work is outstanding."
"Please pass on a big thank you to your team. All of the folks here that have seen the parts have provided me with the most positive feedback possible. Your company has new fans here."
"Without CMRP able to roll these channels to my specifications, there was no way this beautiful round antenna would have ever worked. This is the first round weather radar antenna of its kind in the world and the fabrication recipe (starting with your rings) that produced the antenna actually went together without issue and seems to be very repeatable."
"My customer has installed several truck loads worth of 36" x 160# WF beams you rolled and cambered for us. He was very pleased with the quality of your work. Thank you for your attention to detail and the quality of work you produce."
"The rolled stringers were right on the button as far as pitch and radius."
"I really appreciate your company coming through on this order and expediting the material when you said you would. It is nice to know when someone gives you a date they follow through with it and stick by their word. Thanks again!"
"The last order of rings were the best that we have received from you. The flanges were all flat. Keep them coming like that."
"Thanks for OVER AND ABOVE EXCELLENT SERVICE"
"The ring looks good! The OD is dead on. Thank you for your concerns regarding our questions and responding so quickly. I was impressed! It is quite apparent that Chicago Metal is customer-service oriented."
"Please pass on to the workers, . . . (your) rings . . . were some of the best our fitter has seen."
"I want to thank CMRP for performing as you promised. You are ahead of schedule and the strakes are fitting great. In addition, thank you for actually exceeding what you promised."
"Your advice was a significant contribution to the project."
"These pipes were rolled DEAD ON. The guys in the shop said that had never seen a pipe come in and hit every point like that in a long long time."
"The rolling on these rectangular tubes was absolutely perfect! Barely any adjustment needed to be made."